Pallant House Gallery awarded £300,000 to start renovation project12/11/2018
The Coach House was originally connected to the historic Pallant House and in 2017 it was purchased by the Gallery, reuniting the two buildings. Phase One has been funded by the Arts Council’s Capital: Small Grants programme and will focus on renovating the public facilities on the ground floor of the Gallery, before moving on to Phase Two, which will look at developing the Coach House.
Phase One will feature a variety of developments, including a refit of the studio, installation of energy saving LED lighting and new sculpture plinths in the courtyard garden.
The work will also see the installation of improved signage and better access to the Gallery’s café. Once completed, we will look to embark on Phase Two of the capital project, which will include a new gallery, a Collections Centre for open-access art storage and conservation, an expanded Library and Archive, meetings rooms and administration suite.
“We are very grateful to Arts Council England for their support of the first phase of Pallant House Gallery’s ambitious plans to be an international centre for British art from 1900 to now. The funding will enable us to upgrade facilities in our Studio space for our public programmes, to install new café facilities, plinths to display sculptures in the Garden, environmentally-friendly energy saving lighting, and improved signage. It will lead to the second phase conversion of the historic Coach House into a new Collections Centre, expanded Library and Archive, expanded galleries and facilities for staff and research.”
Simon Martin, Director of Pallant House Gallery