International Association of Art Critics, UK Section, Writers’ Agreement
Guidelines for writers and commissioners
Commissioning and Deadline
- Notification and commissioning at least one month in advance of when text is due; for texts longer than 1500 words, at least two months.
- All necessary research material provided within a week of commission: contact information for artist(s), any relevant images, videos, and relevant publications that are within the commissioner’s possession.
- Travel, accommodation and subsistence covered by commissioner for any necessary research trips (studio, gallery and site visits outside of the author’s city of work).
- Respect for author and integrity of the text:
- The author will decide on the artworks and (where appropriate) the contextualising artworks and exhibitions relevant to the essay;
- The contextualising philosophical or art historical material to include in the essay is at the author’s discretion;
- All statements in the Work purporting to be factual are true to the best of the author’s knowledge having undertaken proper and diligent research.
- The author agrees to work with any copy editor employed by the commissioner regarding house style, grammar, spelling and narrative trajectory. Arbitrary re-wording or modifying content is not within the copyeditor’s remit; any such suggestions must be queried with the author, and approved.
- Image selection appropriate to the text can be made known to the commissioner, but the final selection is at the commissioner’s discretion.
- The maximum number of comparative images that the author may wish to include shall be agreed beforehand. Acquiring these images and permissions to use them is the responsibility of the commissioner. Where selected comparative images prove too costly or unobtainable, a possible replacement should be discussed with the author.
- All changes made to the text must be agreed to by the author before going to print.
- Minimum per word 35 pence GBP for any text over 1000 words; minimum 45 pence GBP per word for any text up to 1000 words. The average fee for established art critics, however, ranges between 50 pence to £1 per word.
- Confirmation of the fee will be made in advance of writing the text.
- If there are specific taxes in the commissioner’s country, the full amount will be disclosed and calculated when the fee is being negotiated, prior to agreement.
- Payment will be made within one month of submission of invoice, regardless of whether or not text is published.
- If commissioner is based outside writer’s country of residence, they will cover any additional transfer fees of payment. This will not be deducted from the full amount of the fee agreed in advance.
- Appropriate accreditation to author within the publication.
- Author retains copyright.
- At least two copies of the publication to be sent to the author.
- The author reserves right to publish the text on the on author’s own website. The author may include the text within a published collection of their own writings, duly crediting the original publication.
- Consent for republishing to be obtained from author, and where appropriate a fee.
Agreed by AICA UK Executive Committee 2016